Monday, December 7, 2015

Gay Apparel

Inspirational song: Deck the Halls (English lyrics by Thomas Oliphant)

My struggle with finding professional clothes has come to an end. It took five different stores to find a blazer that fit my particular body shape, and I ended up buying at least one article of clothing at every shop I visited, even if it was just something small and on clearance. I have a whole new wardrobe appropriate for a real estate agent starting out in the winter in Colorado. Once I found the right shop, I fell victim to a good sales lady who knew her products and the overwhelming luxury of clothes that didn't just sort of fit, they fit like they were made for me and me alone. I cringe when I think of how much I spent at that establishment. But what is worse, I know I'll be going back in a few months when the seasons change and my money starts rolling in. At least I hope it is rolling in by the time spring arrives. I came home today with the aforementioned blazer, in both black and peacock blue, three pair of trousers in black, red, and charcoal plaid, two dressy blouses, and a new red wool pea coat. I am going to look the part of the professional, once I have clients to impress.

We trained on the changes to the Colorado contract this morning. It was a formal class attended by agents from the area where I will be working, and it was held at a bank, and apparently hosted by a title company. It was very strange, being courted by representatives of both. I know there are professional careers dedicated to this sort of thing, like pharmaceutical reps "educating" doctors on available products, but I have so rarely been the target of this marketing blitz. The last time I had charming, smiling reps handing out free merchandise with corporate logos, it was when for-profit colleges were wanting me to refer tuition-assisted soldiers their direction in my capacity as a counselor. It's very seductive, having these people compete for my business. I need to make sure I keep a clear head when they come at me. I've been invited to an awful lot of lunches, brunches, and open houses in the five days I've been employed.

I came home exhausted and needing to decompress, once again. I played at putting lights on the tree, and directing from a distance when my daughter wanted instructions on how to use my sewing machine to make new stockings to hang by her fireplace. Athena has not left the area around the tree since the lights went up. I think she's planning something that will land her on Santa's naughty list. That, or she thinks she is a gift to the family and we should all treasure her. It's true, but she doesn't need to let that go to her head.









No comments:

Post a Comment