Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Snow Birds

Inspirational song: Killing Moon (Echo & the Bunnymen)

I suppose I did see a couple blips on the internet about "winter storm Echo." It was doing a number on Utah, but for some reason, I expected it to go the way of all of the other snow events taking aim at Colorado. They all fizzled out in my part of the state, not living up to the hype. Best I can tell, this storm had NO hype. Not for us anyway. I thought the predictions were for 1-3 inches, which I interpreted as maybe an inch. I woke in the middle of the night, and on a potty run, I glanced outside. It was snowing thoroughly, and had already accumulated about 4 inches by the time I saw it. It was still snowing when I woke at 7:30, and it kept snowing past lunchtime. All told, I figure there was about 8 inches on the ground, maybe a little more than that balanced on the driver's side of my car (the snowdrift side). It added up to business and school closings, and a beautiful sight out the fogged-up front window. (The new double-pane window won't be installed for a month, much to our chagrin.)

I don't know what it is about snow days. The last time we had a sloppy wet snow, Mr S-P and I decided that was the time for us to get out and explore town. We did the same today, plus a little extra driving to test out the snow tires on my car. (They provided surprisingly good traction, for the record, way better than the original tires did on rainy highways in coastal South Carolina.) I felt like we are regressing to childhood, wishing we could sleep in on school days, but awake with the dawn on days when school is called off, so we can go out to play in the snow. There are worse ways to be.

The dogs don't think the snow is all that awesome, but the occasional cat thinks it's a great time to dash out and harass the birds at the feeders in the back yard. It was Alfred's turn today to chase birds, while the others stayed at the sliding glass door to watch the bird show. The man broke out his big camera to take pictures of the bird show, and captured some lovely shots of our new Park West denizens. Soon those little guys will recognize that there is a feeder up front so I can watch them from my favorite coffee spot. Until then, I'll lean against the washer and dryer some more, and laugh at them along with the cats.









No comments:

Post a Comment