Monday, December 14, 2015

Paper Wrapping

Inspirational song: Holidays in the Sun (Sex Pistols)

So let me get this straight. The Colorado contract to buy and sell a house is eighteen pages long. It's a complex legal document that is long enough to spell out all the details in the transfer of real property, listing all consideration, inclusions, exclusions, deadlines, and responsibilities. Real estate is commonly the largest investment most people make, and the paper trail to accompany it is large. That document is a post-it note compared to the trees that were killed on my behalf today. All I wanted to do was open a separate bank account for my new occupation. I selected all the online options I could, and used cash to open the account rather than writing a check. Just the deposit agreement alone was forty pages. When the young woman at the bank printed out the piece of paper to prove that I selected paperless statements, I could no longer hold in my snark. This was unreasonable. All digital from here, right?

I am slowly making my way through all of the documents I'm supposed to know for my new brokerage. I have dozens of computer files to read, a website to learn, new accounts to memorize. It's all a bit overwhelming. I'm trying not to feel set in my ways and inflexible while I absorb all the new technology. I've asked for a little review of how to control the website and keep it all straight. I wish I could have had it before tonight, but I got a little lucky there. I signed up for three hours of being the human behind the curtain on the website, but I hoped and prayed that absolutely no one would show up to be contacted. No new traffic on the site, no phone calls. Whew. By the time my turn comes around again later in the week, I hope to have this digital stuff under my belt. 



No comments:

Post a Comment