Tuesday, December 29, 2015

No Envy, No Fear

Inspirational song: Enjoy the Silence (Depeche Mode)

Each step along the way, I dreamed and studied and wondered when it would all feel real. I got that today. I showed three houses to my clients, and by the time we split up and I drove home, I was grinning the whole way, feeling like I am finally out of the test phase. This is straight up legit, and so am I. I worried yesterday that I didn't sell myself well enough just by talking across from the couple in a restaurant. Today, we went around three houses, all of which they liked, and we covered a lot of ground. By sundown, I had a great relationship with them, and unshakable confidence that I wasn't just a kid playing dress-up.

I really paid attention to the last three real estate agents we worked with, through four different deals here in Colorado, and two in South Carolina. They were knowledgeable, calm, and poised. Today I mimicked them the best I could, all the way down to their posture. I dressed comfortably for the weather and to be able to slip off shoes as we went into houses, but I still felt personally powerful in my new red wool coat (I consider it my professional costume). I still don't have my personal business cards. I'm stuck handing out the generic brokerage cards, with my name hand-written on the back. But I plopped those puppies down on kitchen counters like I was tipping a blackjack dealer with a C-note, and marked my territory just as I was supposed to. Everything will come in time. For now, I'm using other people's cards and other people's moves, but I'm rocking it all like it's all my own signature statement.

I managed not to have house envy while I was in giant homes twice (or more) the size of mine. I'm comfortable with my choices, and I didn't suddenly find the need to house hunt again after visiting other people's spaces today. This is good. I worried that I'd question my decision to stay here as long as I can live independently. So far, touring houses for sale is like visiting with other people's kids or pets. It's fun as long as the kids or pets are being cute, and when you come back to your own home without them, it's a relief. The view out of the really expensive house, though. Wow. I could have woken up to that master bedroom window, and it wouldn't have been a hardship.




No comments:

Post a Comment