Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Lit Up

Inspirational song: Join Together (The Who)

A month ago, give or take a week, I formulated a plan. I knew what I wanted, and I pursued it with single-minded focus. I was far enough into my class to know I was doing well and absorbing all the information at a pace I felt was comfortable. I needed a direction in which to aim myself, and when our instructor described his own brokerage, particularly when he explained his own corporate philosophy, I knew where I wanted to end up. I have refused to allow myself the luxury of self-doubt in pursuit of my dream job. I found a company that so perfectly aligns with my own moral compass, and nothing was going to get in my way of joining them. So today, I had an interview with that brokerage.

It went well.

I didn't choose this career because I wanted to get rich. It's still within the realm of possibilities that I could do so, but it isn't my primary motivation. I chose it because it was the next logical progression in my own development, tying in all of my life experience in customer service, counseling, education, assisting people with research, and generally wanting to play a part in helping people succeed. As I climb up the ladder of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, I'm finding that my needs for self-actualization are less directed inward, and more directed out toward wanting to help lift other people to the same rung of the ladder as myself. What better way to fulfill those needs I have, than by helping people with one of the most important investment decisions they make in their lives, finding a home for themselves and their families? And where else does someone like me belong, than a brokerage devoted to volunteerism and community giving? The company I knew was my first (and for now only) choice is not about slick sales, growing quickly, tricking clients, or any used-car-salesman tactics. It's about building relationships by being good citizens of the community, volunteering regularly, and finding ways to help by very specific, active participation in projects that benefit our local area. How could I not want to be a part of that?

I interviewed with my instructor and his wife who is the volunteer coordinator for the brokerage, and as each detail came out about what is expected and what is offered, I felt more and more eager to join the team. (I use the word "team" in a general way, since it has a very particular definition in real estate, and that's not what I'm going for.) I hoped that the things I was saying, and the experience I was bringing (both visible on my resume and evident in my anecdotes and explanations) were the right things that they wanted to hear. Then, after an hour and a half, they locked eyes and made an agreement without words. They turned back to me, and told me I was hired. The volunteer coordinator asked me whether I wanted to think it over, and I hesitated for just a second, deciding whether to go ahead and say, no, I don't need to mull over my decision. This was all I have wanted for weeks, and I didn't need to play games. I absolutely want to take this offer. So I did. My first sales meeting will be Thursday morning, although I still have to take care of a few procedural steps before my license is active and I can get down to business.

I have been lit up like a candle all day, but after a heavy steak dinner to celebrate, I think I need to get plenty of sleep so I am perky and attentive when I meet everyone else. If this even lives up to a third of my expectations, it's going to be the best thing I've ever done for a living, and I have had some pretty freaking cool job experiences up until now. (Some duds too, but I choose not to dwell on those.) Be happy for me. I got exactly what I wanted. Now I get to help people get what they want too.

No comments:

Post a Comment