Thursday, December 17, 2015

Friendly Get-Together

Inspirational song: Say You Love Me (Fleetwood Mac)

How live has changed for me in the last few years. When I started this blog, I was feeling strife with my social group, while at the same time I was stressing out over my man preparing to leave for a year (which turned into a year and a half) overseas. I chose a hermit life, reducing my circle down to a few key friends, and I lived quietly, very close to home. When the man came back, we had an overlong readjustment phase, and then we moved. Twice. This was after he retired, meaning I had to make a plan to take over as primary breadwinner. It was my turn, after all. I spent the first six months we were here focused entirely inward, setting up house, studying for my license. Now here I am, settled, license pending (but paid for), and not only out of excuses not to rejoin my circle of friends, I am being actively encouraged to reconnect to my world. Can I just repeat how incredibly awesome this is?

I had a big day today. I had training in the morning, a lunch date, and then a coffee date. It feels right, coming out of my shell, finally. I was never meant to live an entirely isolated life. Sure, my coffee date was a business meeting, making contacts in the title industry. It was useful. I learned a lot, and set up future training, like a mock closing, so I can ask all my dumb questions when it is just practice. I will get to look like a seasoned pro once it is for real. My training this morning at the office is to meet the same end, to look like I've done this a million times. It's going to be like my favorite kind of touchdown dance -- act like you've been there before and calmly hand the ball to the ref.

My lunch date in the middle of the day was more for fun. One of my bestest buddies from college marching band lives in the town where I'm now employed. We've seen each other a few times over the years, most particularly at football games in recent seasons. Now we are close enough to get together more often, and I will be able to meet the other half of his family, finally! He brought his older son to two football games with us, but I have yet to meet his wife and younger boy. He told me all about what they have been up to, and after hearing of his wife's advanced home remodeling skills, I've decided I already have a crush on her before I've ever even spoken with her. Of course we talked about the kids, and he explained their parenting style. It consisted of "rather than dropping the kids off at activities, and paying for a gym to work out our stress, we just play with our own kids." I have such appreciation for this simple solution. They are just actively paying attention to their sons. Teaching them to fish, play backyard sports, shop for food. I know lots of families who have ditched the high maintenance, constant attendance in paid group activities parenting style, and I get happy every time I see kids getting to just be kids. I'm so looking forward to getting to hang out with him and his family now that we are back in the state to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment