Thursday, July 14, 2016

Bastille Day

Inspirational song: Wasted Time (The Eagles)

I had to kill a lot of time today. I had a meeting at the office in the morning, and showings in the evening, and no desire to drive all the way home and back in between. I had to find something to keep me occupied for five hours. My first brilliant idea was to take a leisurely drive along rural highways to the small town in the north, and maybe find a place where I could park my car overlooking one of the many lakes, and sit in some shade. It was an utter failure. I couldn't find a single body of water with a public car park anywhere nearby, not even at what I thought were city or county reservoirs. I drove around quite a bit looking for a spot. Eventually I found some pretty views down a couple dirt roads, but never a shady spot to park. I took two pictures, and got back in my car to keep moving.

I was nearly out of cell coverage out in the country, but I was able to get one phone call. My afternoon client wanted to see other houses closer to her real target city, so I took down her instructions and promised to set up showings as soon as I got to the little town where the first tour was scheduled. Again, I drove all over, trying to find a good place to stop. There were plenty of housing developments in this little hamlet, but precious little that constituted a "town." It was quite horrible actually. Fifteen years ago, I imagined that if Mr S-P was stationed in Cheyenne, we could buy a house down there, to be closer to family. I am so glad that never happened. I ended up driving all over creation just trying to find a good place to stop the car, and I'm fairly certain I drove more miles and more time than I would have had I just turned and gone home between the appointments. I will not be wasting my time like this again. I'm also not sure that I'm interested in helping anyone find a home in that community again. I've rarely felt so uncomfortable in a town.

I needed to keep myself busy today, to keep my mind from wandering to the date. Twenty-six years ago today, I married Mr Smith-Park. Sixteen years ago today, we hied off to Gretna Green in Scotland to renew our vows. A year ago today I wondered whether he was going to stay married to me much longer. This spring I got my answer. I wanted to talk to him today, simply because of what day it was. I asked him whether he would be willing to talk before he left. He declined at the time, and he told me that it wasn't an anniversary anymore once it wasn't a marriage anymore. I disagree. It's always an anniversary. It will always mean something, even after what it celebrates is over. It can't have all been wasted time.









No comments:

Post a Comment