Sunday, July 31, 2016

Beautiful

Inspirational song: No Easy Way Down (Carole King)

The original plan was to go see Beautiful, the Carole King Musical last Sunday. Plans changed, and so did our tickets. My buddy and I went to see it today instead, on its final Denver performance. That week delay worked in my favor. I'm not sure I could have handled it had I seen it one week sooner. But I passed a milestone this week, and came at it from a different emotional place. I was able to appreciate its beauty and poignancy. This production is spectacular. It's well-acted, sung beautifully, and staged compellingly. It was funny and touching. I couldn't find a single flaw.

I knew Carole King was a big time songwriter, but I really didn't know her career was quite as all-encompassing as it was. Until I saw this show, I had no idea the part she played in mega-hits like the Locomotion or On Broadway, for example. I mostly thought of the songs she recorded herself when I thought of her. And for most of my life, that was quite enough to impress the hell out of me. I never knew about her relationship with the songwriting duo responsible for You've Lost That Loving Feeling and Pleasant Valley Sunday, either. I felt a little undereducated going into it this afternoon. I know better now.

The best part of it was how it made me feel inspired to keep writing my own words. It made me feel stronger and more creative. It made me believe in the things that I'm already doing. Now it's time to put down the blog and pick up the stories. I've been stuck on them for a few days while I was overworked on other projects. I have time again now. Time to get unstuck.



No comments:

Post a Comment