Monday, July 25, 2016

Nature Walk

Inspirational song: Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin)

I have been saying for months that I needed to come stay with my friends, and visit their Rotary meeting (that happens at seven in the freaking morning). There were always reasons that I couldn't make it up, while all the stress of the breakup and my illness was overwhelming me. But now things are settling down, and the reasons to come up here were much more compelling than any dumb excuse not to do it. Not only do I get to check another item off of my new members checklist (visiting another Rotary club), but I get to spend the night in the gorgeous mountains with some of my favorite people around. This evening is thoroughly in the win column. And if things go according to plan, I will sell some tickets to our Throw Down at Pie Noon fundraiser, and get a gold star from the leaders of the organizing committee when we meet tomorrow.

I walked all over downtown with my co-conspirator, trying to get more businesses involved in the pie throwing event, to put together teams or at least buy tickets, and we are hitting a lot of brick walls. I don't know what more we can do here. This has the potential to be a whole lot of fun, but I don't know how to get people to sign up a month in advance. I really think this will be a spur of the moment decision for most folks, a day or two ahead of the event. They have at least allowed that we'll put up a table the night before, when there is already a downtown art walk or something planned. I think foot traffic is our best resource. And I don't mean MY foot traffic. I think my days of walking all over town are limited. I can barely sit with my feet on the floor at this point.

This evening's walk was of an entirely different nature. We strolled gently along the river, taking in the much cooler air as the sun started to set. We stopped in for drinks at a small coffee shop, and put our feet up by a pond, to watch the fish eat bugs off of the water's surface. That was really the only wildlife we saw, other than the "Canada goose" by the coffee shop's pond, and the "deer" by the river... that appears to be a little worse for wear after a rave. It's the only explanation we could find for its broken antler and the glow stick draped around its neck.

And now if you'll excuse me, I've traded Smith Park for Rocky Mountain National Park. I am going to relax in the mountain air. I hope it gets really cold tonight. I'll make sure the windows in the guest room are wide open.














No comments:

Post a Comment