Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pretending To Be Normal

Inspirational song: Radar Love (Golden Earring)

Okay, I'm on the clock. I just took half of a muscle relaxant, and the moment it kicks in, I need to be in bed. I pretended I was a totally normal person yesterday and today, and I don't have a scheduled day to officially recover until at least next Monday. So I have to rest up when I can.

My fondest wish from last night came true. As I slept in my friends' guest room, with all of the windows on the lower level of their townhouse open, not only was the air cool, it was downright cold. I'm fairly certain it made it to the high 50s over night, inside the house. I had washed my hair before bed, and the cool air and wet hair made me absolutely chilled. I had to pull an extra blanket over myself all the way up to my ears. It was glorious! After months of roasting and not being able to cool off under my own power, this was like winning the lottery.

I stumped for participants for our big pie throwdown at the early morning Rotary meeting in the mountains. My friends are totally on board, and there were a lot of people who talked like they wanted to play, but no one wanted to sign up to make a team. There will be some arm-twisting to come, and some out-and-out bribery. We will get them to come down.

After my second Rotary meeting of the day, I stuck around to talk to the planning committee, and to volunteer to take on even more responsibility for this project. I just don't like to say no. Who's the girl in Oklahoma the musical who can't say no? Ado Annie? Oh, the irony.

And then, like a glutton for punishment, I ran errands, I pulled weeds, I cleaned up after the cats (two days overdue... sorry, roommate whose bed is right next to the cats' potty!), and went out to the writers group. By the time I limped out of there, I was exceptionally rude to the person standing outside the library door asking for signatures on a petition to regulate fracking, and I whined the whole drive home. This has got to stop. Or at least slow down. Maybe in September.




No comments:

Post a Comment