Friday, July 1, 2016

Within the Means

Inspirational song: Low Budget (The Kinks)

With careful planning, my housemate and I actually made it in and out of Costco for under a hundred dollars. It is a Christmas miracle. Mr X and I have been calling that place "The 300 dollar store" for months, for obvious reasons. I don't yet know how my budget as a single person is going to work, so for now it makes sense to be careful. We had to wear horse blinders to escape all the tempting displays of things we really didn't need, now or in the future. I keep finding myself looking for ways to shave five or ten dollars off of my expenses here and there. It can't hurt to scale things back for a while. I don't know how long the economizing will last. Might become a permanent habit.

My housemate had some free passes to a fun park over in Boulder. We celebrated our good behavior in grocery shopping by stepping out to play a couple rounds of mini golf. He had some free passes, so it fit in with our low budget day. We even got to spend time in the batting cages for free. I haven't swung a bat in so many years, I wasn't sure I remembered how. But there I was, hitting the softballs nearly every single time (okay, I missed one the first round, and three in the second round, once I was tired). I felt nearly athletic. That was novel. We ended up having an entirely free evening of entertainment, and we managed to score two more free rounds of golf for next time we need cheap fun. Can't beat that with a stick. Or a club.

I had a few unfortunate holes when we played the first round. I kept getting my ball stuck behind rocks, wedged up against the brick perimeters of the holes, stuck in "sand traps" (actually carpet or wool or something), dunked in water, or out of bounds in the rough. Yet I still managed to make a couple holes in one between the two rounds, and have a fantastic night. I was able to leave aside all the unpleasantness of the last few months, and just give myself over to fun. All of that for the price of a gallon of gas.

And we even found a new little friend, who really wanted to hang around and watch us play golf.














No comments:

Post a Comment