Friday, September 2, 2016

Accidental Volunteer

Inspirational song: Showdown (Electric Light Orchestra)

I had a lot going on last night, and didn't get settled in to make signs until after ten pm. I found a level and a pencil, and sketched out the rough draft for two of the versions I needed. I decided it was best not to ink anything in by the time I was done with four signs prepped, just past midnight. I knew I'd regret making anything permanent when I was that tired. I promised myself I'd get up early and finish up in good time. And then I failed to fall asleep for an hour and a half, and woke in the middle of the night from the worst nightmare I've had in at least ten years. So as the early morning rolled around, and the felines stomped all over me, demanding that their human servant perform her duties, I struggled to wake. I slept in as long as I thought I could get away with. But eventually I had to put pen to posterboard. I went through four or five different Sharpies, trying to find one that was moist enough to ink in ten signs. I eventually found a big fat black one, a soft tip dark blue one, and a red one to line arrows. I settled down on the floor to work my magic. I can't remember a time when I didn't fully enjoy this sort of activity. Really, I was born to it. My mom used to hand draw the calendars for events at the officers club on base, and I learned at her knee to make signs like this and to love it. I eschewed graphics this time around, and focused directly on clearly legible text. I used what I'd call "kindergarten teacher" font. The Rotary president phoned me and said the truck delivering our peaches that we were selling this afternoon was coming early, so I had to pick up speed.

By the time I had all ten signs done, I felt like I'd been run over with the peach truck, and I could barely move. I ran to the shower and threw on the first clothes I could find (with CU logos on them), to deliver the goods on time. I intended to stay long enough to see things set up, and to purchase the crate of peaches that I reserved. The president was there by himself, and sales started as soon as I arrived. I asked whether I ought to stay until the other volunteers made it, so that someone was guarding the money at the table while he was carrying boxes to customers' cars. He seemed to appreciate that, so I stayed that long. And then a few more volunteers arrived, and one person said he wished we had set up a Square so we could take credit cards. After a text exchange, I realized I'd never returned the Square readers from the pie throw down. I ran home to get them, and said I could stay a little longer, to run the card reader on my phone. Without intending to, I ended up sticking around for four and a half hours, selling peaches grown on the Western Slope, raising hundreds of dollars for our club and youth programs. I suppose it means all the regular club members are getting to know my face, name, and college affiliation (since I was appropriately dressed for the day). There are worse things than being known as a regular, reliable, hard-working volunteer.

I only had one stipulation for staying to help out on short notice. I insisted I would be gone before kickoff of the game. I wasn't the only one excited about tonight. Several people early on said they had tickets to the game in Denver, and couldn't stay long at all. Most of the people volunteering claimed to be CU fans. But right as I was walking away from the table, a charming doctor who had been there most of the day said, "Go Rams." I'm not sure whether he was being contrary or waited until almost kickoff to reveal his loyalties. I just laughed at his comment, and raced home to see the main event. So far, now that it's halftime, I could not be happier. This is not the same team we watched the last two or three seasons. This was a team who paid attention in practice. These kids are ready to put the past behind them, and to play like they actually wanted to be here. I'm enjoying this so much more than the last decade of teams who couldn't shoot themselves in the foot fast enough or often enough. I sure hope these kids stick around all season.





No comments:

Post a Comment