Monday, September 5, 2016

Helping

Inspirational song: Heaven Help My Heart (Chess)

They call it Labor Day for a reason, I suppose. It was supposed to be a day off for all of us, including me, and I ended up working hard around the house. It needed to be done, and I've been waiting for weeks for my schedule and energy levels to allow me to get to it. I deep cleaned the living room, to the point of even pulling all the plants out of their hidey-holes and trimming off dead leaves, before soaking them thoroughly in the sink. I vacuumed at least three spare felines out of the carpet and from under the chairs. Everything has been polished and washed and swept. After months of living in a funk with no energy to clean or desire to improve my surroundings, it sure feels good to care enough to tidy up. Plus, that room sure looks bigger when it's not loaded up with papers, fur, and leaves on all sides. The kids are pleased that I found one of Jack's favorite toys while I was at it, one that had been missing for weeks. All in all it was a quite productive exercise.

I'm supposed to be writing to a prompt of "nostalgia" for tomorrow's group. I've done so much nostalgic writing over the last three and a half years, one would think I could just pull a few pages out of thin air and be done with it. I haven't been able to land on a single spark of inspiration thus far to get me started. Maybe I ought to go digging through one of my memento boxes while I'm cleaning house, to find that spark. I'd kill two birds with one stone--cleaning and story-telling. Yet I find I'm not that inspired to do either of those things.

I suppose I will close out my Labor Day by planning to benefit from someone else's hard labor, or at least take all the glory from it. There's a political statement there, I'm sure, but I'm really only talking about fantasy football. I let the computer pick my team, ended up with a whole lot of players I do not recognize at any level, and now the algorithm is indicating that I have a great team that ought to place tied for second by the end of the season. Not sure how that happened. Well, yes I am. I knew I had no hope of doing any better under my own power, and sought help from a higher power. It seems to have worked.



No comments:

Post a Comment