Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Gotta Get Away

Inspirational song: Happy (Rolling Stones)

For all that I wax poetic about how much I love my new small hometown, I seem to be taking every opportunity to get out of town that I am offered. I'm making a point of living in the whole of north eastern Colorado, not just one county, not just one city. I missed twenty whole years that I could have been here, while we were being nomads and following the drum. Now, I'm making up for all that time (even though yes, I did come back here several times a year almost every year we were away).

Today's adventure was a trip up memory lane (remembering a photo shoot in Boulder Canyon when I was pregnant with my first daughter, but access to Boulder Falls is now closed, so I did not recreate it), and a highly enjoyable drive to view the changing aspen leaves with the younger daughter and her man. Last year I did this drive with my man, but seeing as how times change, I adjusted with those times. Rather than spending hours taking close ups of every glowing yellow leaf in the bright autumn sunshine, we spent a cool, cloudy day mugging for the cameras pointed at our own bad selves. It has been a long time since I allowed myself to be the subject of my own photos, but today I let it all hang out. I didn't worry as much about camera angles or double chins, and just smiled and let myself feel young and carefree again (like the previously mentioned day in the Canyon from a couple decades ago). It was interesting, seeing the pictures my daughter took on an old digital SLR, from a few feet away from where I stood with a cell camera, and comparing the lighting, framing, and vision. I have several of her pictures to share too, in tonight's photo essay.

We never made it all the way up to Rocky Mountain National Park, because we left a little late and stopped a lot along the Peak to Peak. We stopped in Estes and had a lovely lunch and a walk up the main street a few blocks, only to come back down the river path. By the time we bought snacks at the nostalgic candy shop, we were done for and came back to flatter ground. We intend to make another trip up in a few days, this time directly to Trail Ridge Road before it closes for the year. There will be more pictures to come that day. Hopefully that set will be in a logical order and rotated correctly. Don't ask me why all of child's pictures are in random order and hopelessly sideways.












































































No comments:

Post a Comment