Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Righting the Ship

Inspirational song: I Need a Hero (Bonnie Tyler)

Yesterday over lunch, I was explaining to someone why I hadn't yet given my vocational speech to the Rotary club, where I am given five minutes to introduce myself properly to the group. For most of us, it's the final step we complete in our transition from a red badge (newbie) to a blue badge (established member). I said that I'd been prepared to do the speech right away back in February, and then my whole world turned upside down and stayed that way for months. My 2016 was like an extended, serialized version of the Poseidon Adventure. I think the ship is almost upright again. It's getting closer. I'm starting to feel like myself again, in all ways. There are scars that will always be visible, but I'm relearning how to move in my new reality. So now it's time to write that speech, isn't it?

After a few weeks being only tangentially connected to my real estate reality, I am back at it in earnest. We have been on an epic quest to find the ultimate detached garage-shop in Weld county. This evening we saw a property with a 1300 square foot garage, with three bays, one tall enough to house a full-sized RV. There was a set of stairs and "loft" area that would make it easy to work on the top of said RV, if necessary. The house on the property was enormous. The main floor was an okay size and layout, but the basement was cavernous. I realized, standing in the hallway that led from the bedrooms and bath down there, looking into the largest family room I had ever seen, that the basement alone was bigger than my entire house. The place wasn't without faults. There are cracks in the drywall and the garage door does not sit flush with the ground all the way across. The kitchen needs a complete overhaul, and there is carpeting in all three bathrooms. The light fixtures and existing window coverings are straight out of the worst part of the 1990s. But it has great potential, and is in a killer location. If the sellers are ready to negotiate, we might initiate talks. This could be fun.

I have other real estate challenges to research this week as well. I have a tricky mortgage situation to unravel, if I can. Good thing I know a lot of professionals with whom I feel comfortable asking stupid questions. Finally, after all these months, I feel like I'm getting entirely back to work, where I belong. The Poseidon may be seaworthy again.








No comments:

Post a Comment