Sunday, September 18, 2016

Boss

Inspirational song: My Hometown (Charlie Robison)

I know, I know, it was just this past Wednesday that I promised I would slow down a little and pace myself. But how can I stop when I'm feeling so much better? Maybe if I schedule down days, to save up spoons, I can let myself act with a little unbridled enthusiasm when I have as much energy as I have today. I'll be careful tomorrow. Today I killed it. I didn't drag my feet. I didn't try to whine my way out of anything (although I was mindful to sit as much as I could this afternoon). We went on our nightly walk, and I volunteered to take an extra lap around the park where the lovely rose garden is. This is the longest we've walked there, and it felt great. My knees reminded me of my limitations by the end, and the last quarter lap was a little wobbly while all of the supportive fibers in them showed signs of fatigue. We still made it to the back to the car after all of that walking in good time. I owned it like a boss tonight.

It was nice, having an entire day that felt like winning. Okay, so when my neighbor came to watch the Chiefs play (since I went ahead and got the Sunday ticket this year), they didn't win, but he still had fun, and had bet against them in his office pool anyway. But my entire day was socializing, talking sports, and making new friends. How can this not feel like a win? I went to a party in a beautiful house overlooking a lake, in a neighborhood that has fascinated me since New Year's Eve. My very first day showing houses as a real estate agent brought me to a house across the street from this one, that my clients didn't fully appreciate since they viewed it after sundown. If they had realized the beautiful lake and mountain views available from the master bedroom, they might have reacted more favorably to the property. They were too concerned about a possible recurrence of the thousand-year flood that we had three years ago. The home I was in today was in the perfect position to see for miles and miles. The host and hostess were charming, wonderful people. The conversation was wide ranging and engaging. The food was good, although there was a plethora of baked goods I had to avoid. (Everyone else said that the desserts were terrific.) It was everything I could have wanted in an afternoon party, and cheering on a Broncos win was just icing on the cake (that I couldn't have eaten).

I have waited a very long time to expand my world. I had setbacks that most normal people don't have to face. Finally, after tripping and falling and having to keep getting back up over and over, I think I have made progress. I have friends in this town from all walks of life, with entirely different interests and goals. From these friends, I'm meeting more and more people. I'm not being mercenary about it, using it as a tool to build a client base, but if these people need a real estate professional, of course I'll be there for them. My main goal is to make this town feel like my new hometown, and it's working. Many times I thought it wasn't going to happen, but now that it is, I wonder why I ever doubted.





No comments:

Post a Comment