Saturday, September 3, 2016

Bona Fides

Inspirational song: Oops I Did It Again (Britney Spears)

Funny thing about living alone and having a lot of free time. You need to find ways to fill that time. So when our peach sales ran into a second day, I volunteered to man the table again. And when we didn't sell out on the second day, I promised that I'd show up again tomorrow. I'm not sure what will happen if we don't sell the final pallet by tomorrow afternoon. I don't think I can keep this up indefinitely. It has been fun and all, but I need to figure out how to establish boundaries. I think I have an actual problem. I'm addicted to volunteering. Problem is, I really like it. I don't know what to do about it, other than keep a close eye on my schedule.

My roommate has been unavailable for a couple days, so when I got home from volunteering and still needed to go on my walk, I was on my own. It was my first real test to see just how committed I am to building strength and endurance. Was I willing to go on a walk alone, without the flimsy excuse that I was just there as a Pokemon Go enabler? Turns out yes, I think I am well on the way to re-establishing this as a habit, not just a whim. I took the most challenging of the local routes that I can do without driving anywhere first. It's a steady climb up a hill (ahem...just one way, not both), and just long enough to meet my daily goals, even if I'd done very little for the rest of the day. That was exactly my result today, as well. I spent most of the day sitting at a table in front of a store, but I managed to net 150 percent of my goals. I'm still feeling a little of the pain of running out of the most effective of the lupus meds for three days, but somewhere along the way toward improved health, I seem to have accidentally arrived there. Sure, there's a lot more that I can do, but considering at the end of February I had to use a cane to walk all the way to the stop sign at the end of this block, this counts as strong and healthy. I'm legitimately thrilled at this much progress.








No comments:

Post a Comment