Sunday, June 27, 2021

By Popular Demand

Inspirational song: Golden Slumbers (The Beatles)

With sincerest apologies to previous overnight visitors, I have finally been forced to admit my guest bed is a torture device. I had thought I was so clever, seven or eight years ago, designing a daybed I could build by myself, with large storage underneath. That was the plan. The execution was disappointing. It was a humbling experience, realizing how hard carpentry can be, when one has no skill with power tools. (I've gotten a little better since then, but my hand strength has deteriorated, so I'm unlikely to want to try that particular way again.) It was functional, but never fully finished. It was a bit wobbly. It was tall. And it was so uncomfortable for more than a brief nap.

I had poked around a few stores trying to find a twin bed frame to replace the daybed fail, and couldn't find anything good. I went online this afternoon, and discovered that a good source for bed frames is Home Depot, of all places. I had no idea. I scrolled through looking for something super basic but elegant. Found a few metal ones with head and foot boards I liked, and sent my daughter some screenshots. We narrowed it down to two that were nearly identical, and the choice came down to one that was taller and could store bigger items underneath, or one that was shorter that Valerie could get herself in and out of at a younger age. Baby won. I placed the order, and it should be here next week.

I have been trying to find the inspiration to declutter the craft/guest room for a couple years. I never get very far. But now that I have a week to swap out the bed, I guess it's time to address those stuffed storage bins under the torture rack. My donation bucket in the living room is already two-thirds full before I even start. I expect to take multiple trips to the ARC this week.

I am happy with the choice I made. The bed wasn't expensive, at just under $120 including tax, and it will be delivered here. By not allowing more storage under it, I am forcing myself to let more things go. And just think about that little sweetheart who will have her own big girl bed at grandma's whenever she wants to stay here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment