Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Community

Inspirational song: Join Together (The Who)

Over a year apart, and my Rotary friends and I picked up our conversations like it had only been a week. Granted we have been looking at live streams of each other all this time, but there is a big difference being face-to-face with other humans. I am well-aware of those differences. Geez, after this long, I was in danger of becoming feral. I know how to communicate in written form, but I get anxious when I have to make sounds come out of my face hole. (If any of you wonder why I don't call very often, that is 100% it.) But as well as I ever do in live human interactions, I pretty much met that standard this afternoon. What's better, it actually felt good.

I got a couple of hugs. I sat at a table with a handful of people I know to varying degrees. And here is the really scary part: I volunteered for a new position. It's not something heavy-duty, like the newsletter that had to go out every week. This is one of the junior Sergeant at Arms positions, helping set up and take down the banners and badges and whatnot for the meetings. I am going to do it on a test run next week, to see how my body handles it. It doesn't seem very hard. Just show up half an hour early, stay a little later, once or twice a month. I think I can do this.

I arrived at Rotary already worn out. While I was in the shower this morning, I heard noises outside the door, and then a voice that said, "can grandma come out and play?" Girls and I went to pick up my daughter's new glasses, and then wandered over to Walmart for some big plastic storage to organize baby stuff. We used the parking placard, and it's a good thing we did. Even holding on to one cart, I did way more walking than I should have. I also had to wrestle a wild gorilla to change her stinky diaper. It was an active morning, but it was a fun one. Plus I have already proved my theory, that having close-in parking will get me out and active more, because I don't have to burn up all my energy between the car and the door of my destination. I'm not going to get hung up on the time I've missed over this. I'm going to look forward to all the benefits for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment