Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Firehose

Inspirational song: Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)

There is just too much. Too many crises. Too many fires of different sizes to put out. Last week was busy enough, but this week switched it up and made everything feel urgent.

First and foremost, keep our very senior dog Elsa in your thoughts. She is the biggest crisis of all right now. She went to the mountains late last week, and started having gastrointestinal distress on Monday. She went in to the vet on Tuesday, got fluids and blood tests, and came home. Overnight she got way worse (the floor leading to the back door looked like a crime scene this morning.) She went back to the vet this morning, and they referred her to the emergency clinic. She has been admitted to stay at least through Friday, assuming she makes it that long. When the vet called to give us a prognosis, his call was all about managing expectations. She is very old, and has been struggling with pancreatic insufficiency for a couple of years now. She isn't strong. This will be the toughest battle of her life.

Speaking of battles, I had a biopsy this morning. It was in the breast that wasn't affected by cancer two years ago. The area of suspicion is just a concentration of calcifications, not a new tumor. They said I'll get one of three results: benign, cancerous, or indeterminate. Only one of those doesn't lead to a consultation with the surgeon who took care of me in 2019. The biopsy went as well as it could. The doc and two techs were delightful humans (and one of the techs was actually brought in to stand on the side of the table where I was told to turn my face, so that I wasn't just talking to a wall -- what consideration!) It was over quickly, and I was afforded the opportunity to take a picture of the several core samples on the slide before they sent it off. In fact, fair warning, I will share it here. I'll just be kind and dig up a photo of Elsa to post first, so it doesn't appear in the preview on Facebook, and if you don't want to see it, it doesn't jump out at you. But me, I think it is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment