Friday, June 18, 2021

On the Right

Inspirational song: I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am (Herman's Hermits)

Second verse, same as the first.

Got my biopsy results today. This, kids, is why you get your cancer screenings done on time, no matter what. It's the same thing as before, minus the "invasive" part. They call it ductal carcinoma in situ. We caught this very early, so while I fully expect a lumpectomy on the right side, I have a reasonable hope that I will get to skip chemo in favor of just radiation this time. 

There is no foot dragging by my medical team. They have been two steps ahead of me the whole time. When my oncology office found out that I needed the biopsy, they canceled the checkup I had scheduled to go over the mammogram until that was done. The women's imaging clinic got me in for the guided biopsy quickly, and the results were back in two days. I saw them as soon as they went into my portal account around noon, and had a couple hours to digest the news, while the radiologist's team was calling around, scheduling appointments for me. So when she called around 2:30, she let me know I was seeing both the breast surgeon and oncologist at 3:30 on Monday, and they had already told my primary care doctor to process an updated referral to the surgeon through Tricare. 

It is my guess that with my recent history of cancer that things will continue to move at lightning speed. Odds are they will want a new MRI to make sure this is the only place it has spread, and I assume they will put my case before the tumor board like last time. But if it takes more than a few weeks to get me in for a lumpectomy, I will be astonished. Surely by the end of July, right?

Right now I'm not letting it get to me. I'm more annoyed than anything. I thought I had caught the other one early enough, and gone through chemo to prevent recurrence. One thing I'm sure of, if they make me do chemo again, I am not getting a damned port. I hated that thing. I'll just deal with the occasional IV puncture for infusions. Better yet, I'll pursue pill forms of treatment.

I was sitting outside when the report came in. I tried to go take a picture pointing down of my beautiful white Sugar Moon roses, blooming above the fish pond. I couldn't tell in the bright light that the front facing camera was selected. You know, I'm gonna go with the F-up picture of the blighted black walnut tree in T's yard. It is fitting for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment