Thursday, June 17, 2021

My Three Dogs

Inspirational song: Beeswing (Richard Thompson)

First off, the important news, Elsa is doing better. She is still in a very serious condition, but she stabilized today. They have been calling it gastroenteritis, or a more serious version abbreviated HGE. I would do the Google legwork for you, but frankly, I'm out of brain power and I will have to put that off for now. All I know is that her red blood cell count was way too high, and it leveled off, and her white blood cell count was dismally low. Well, I know that, and that so far her hospital stay has added up to about $3k. So. Far. Ouch. This doggo had better come home and give us at least another year of sweetness for this.

Murray has looked pretty pitiful all day. I can't tell whether he's worried about Elsa's absence, or is he feeling crummy on his own account. His disability is bringing him arthritis at a somewhat young age (he's 7), and his long history of bladder infections and saddle sores has been challenging for him too. He didn't want to eat much today, and it could be from heat, pain, or worry, or all of the above.

Saoirse has been spun up all day, and she is acting like a kid on a sugar high. She tried to play-pounce with several of the cats and me, at various points during the day. Most everyone tolerated her, but she needs to learn that Athena does not play with others. Not that she doesn't play at all, but only on her own terms, and only alone. I'm guessing Saoirse demonstrated the same play behavior when she went out first thing this morning. She came back in agitated, with a big bump on her nose. Silly puppy. Bees, hornets, and wasps are even less interested in playing than Athena.

No comments:

Post a Comment