Saturday, February 24, 2024

Moun'ns

Inspirational song: Runaway (Del Shannon)

We are just a few weeks shy of owning my Hyundai for two years, and it still has fewer than 13000 miles on it. I don't drive all that much or that far, on a regular basis. Most of my trips are local and on full electric, as charged by my solar-paneled house. But I would venture a guess that the bulk of the miles on that car were racked up going to the airport in Denver or up to mess around in Rocky Mountain National Park.

On that note, we didn't feel like staying home today. We tossed the kids in the back of the car, and drove up to the Park, with the intention of walking around Bear Lake. As we drove up, we noticed how much the wind picked up. Our plans scaled down and down further as we drove up. By the time we reached the parking lot, Valerie had a bad tummyache, the wind was cold, the ground was icy, and a walk just didn't seem all that cool anymore. We used the trailhead potties and went back to Estes Park, so we could hit Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory as always. Maybe we can try it again in another month.

Before we could finish prepping to go up to the mountains, Mr S-P looked out the back window and asked, "where are the dogs?" We found that he didn't properly latch the gate, and as the wind started to blow, it literally released the hounds. We were in a panic. So when I said earlier that we threw the kids in the car, I sort of meant it. I said I'd go north in my car with the kids, looking for Beinn and Saoirse, and he said he'd crawl through the alleys in his car. He made the right call, because they were still at the other end of our alley, around the bend out of sight, but not into the busy street that borders our neighborhood. I swear that gate has caused me more dog stress than I needed in a lifetime. Those goofy dogs just acted like nothing happened, too. If I didn't already dye my hair, I probably would have had visibly more gray hair after this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment