Thursday, February 8, 2024

Rack 'em and Stack 'em

Inspirational song: It Can Happen (Yes)

Some of the worst blockages have been shaken loose, and I feel mentally unstuck for the first time in ages. I'm pretty sure most of the credit goes to the force of nature who is couch-surfing at my house during the school weeks. It also helps that she is the first one to jump in and help with day to day tasks, so that I'm literally not stuck doing the basics first and never gaining traction. I turn around and dishes are already done or the recycling is taken out, and I can move on to the harder stuff that I've put off because getting to the starting line takes too long.

Today's miracle advancement was finally taking the metal shelves out of my trunk and assembling them in place on the porch. Housemate and I had started on some basic porch cleanup earlier in the week, so today I had access to the spot where the shelves were to go. I positioned them so that I could tuck away large, unsightly storage bins, yard work tools, fertilizers, and all of my terracotta collection when not in use. I finished ripping out the dead foliage from terracotta containers, but the old soil can't go into the city compost bin. I still have to dump it in specific places in the yard, so that will take more time and energy, yet to be allocated. Then I can properly rinse and store pots on the shelves.

It's so nice not having to start at zero every single time I set out to accomplish things. Yes, the house is crowded, with two extra adult humans, and an extra dog and cat. Despite that, it feels cleaner and more spacious in here, and less mentally draining. For all it may resemble living in a college dormitory or sorority house, it functions a lot more efficiently than one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment