Monday, September 9, 2024

Slight Improvement

Inspirational song: Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones)

I couldn't look at it any longer. Where I stopped painting last time left a giant capital P on the south wall, the one I face most of my waking hours in this house. It was incredibly distracting. So even though I had plans to take care of a dozen other things, I found myself pulling furniture away from the wall, dumping a pile of papers and other crap that was allowed to sit in the side table for freaking ever, and working on yet another section of paint. I did as much cutting in as I could reach, and painted that stupid niche with a brush. Then I sat and stared at it for at least half an hour, trying to decide whether to break out the roller and tray. I finally did, and I suppose I'm glad, because that allowed me to put some stuff back in the niche, and get it off of the table and other surfaces where it was in my way.

My original intention was to tidy the kitchen and dining room so that I could bring Valerie over here to decorate the dining room. She seemed to enjoy it the first time, and she even asked me if she could do it again over the weekend. We agreed to do it tomorrow. There isn't a whole lot of stuff left for us to use, but I'm pretty sure we can make something happen without me sneaking off to a craft store to spend money I can't currently spare.

I suppose if I'd gotten her here today, I would have delayed the painting. But she and her family went up to Nederland to ride the carousel and visit with the folks at Nature's Own, the rock, fossil, and crystal store up there. They sent back pictures of the kids grabbing giant handfuls of polished rocks, and I was so jealous. I can never get enough of those. They've been an obsession of mine since I was their age. Seeing that, I guess I'm okay with them having fun rather than being here while I tidy and make a tablescape.

No comments:

Post a Comment