Sunday, September 8, 2024

The Good Stuff

Inspirational song: The End (The Doors)

This is an oddly specific type of post. Information intended for the few people who care about this sort of thing. But it is meant with the best of intentions.

Normally I cannot say enough good things about Costco. I love everything I get there, with the exception of Kirkland brand batteries, which seem to die very quickly in string lights. But I digress. While Costco has a huge range of products to offer, some of the items only come in one brand, one variety. This is particularly problematic for me when it comes to cat litter. They only sell Fresh Step, in 42-pound cases. Whenever they would go on sale, Mr S-P would max out the quantity allowed, and he built up a stash in the garage, a stack over waist high. This really wasn't an issue as long as the cat boxes were all in the basement. That brand is dusty as hell, but it was contained to the basement, and I wasn't fighting that battle. 

When we had our second housemate move in, she brought along her dog and cat during the days she is here. This necessitated separating the animals, and putting cat boxes in the laundry room upstairs for the home team. I bought a quality litter that is dust free and releases easily from the plastic box when scooped. That lasted a few months, and then I started feeling guilty for asking him to bring home that litter when he bought cat food, knowing that Mount Fresh Step was still in the garage. So I made a point of using it up. I hated it. My entire house is covered in a thick layer of dust, and the smell was unbearable. I have been counting down the days until it was gone.

My daughter helped me out, asking for the remaining few bags when she ran out of her supply of the good kind last week, and when she restocked, she repaid me with two cartons of what we both really wanted. Arm and Hammer Slide. I spent all day elbow deep in cat boxes, throwing out the dregs of the old, stinky stuff, and scrubbing the plastic. First I washed everything with diluted Lysol, then again with a concentrated straight vinegar and dish soap concoction. I washed everything, inside and out of the boxes, the scoop, and the tile floor. I ran the catch-mats through the washer and then set them in the sun. I have never been so satisfied cleaning toilets before, but man I feel better. I need to spend a week dusting everything that I just dusted last week and the week before when I moved furniture to paint. 

I did not take a picture of any stage of this process. No one needs to see where my cats pee. Instead, before I turned out the lights to go to bed, I took a picture of a ficus shivereana that I have managed to keep alive for a year. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment