Sunday, September 15, 2024

With the Entire Local Crew

Inspirational song: All Day and All of the Night (The Kinks)

No one planned for us to spend ten hours together, but that is how the day panned out, and I am not mad about it one bit. We needed a simple Target run, and from there, nothing was simple. It was a lot of fun, regardless.

I needed a t-shirt that I couldn't get. I've been tasked (well, strongly hinted) with buying a CU shirt, and there were literally two in the store. One was a youth size large. A second was an adult XL, made from a yucky polyester that I didn't even like handling long enough to snap a picture. So I didn't get either. My daughter needed bubble juice. No really. Large refills for handheld bubble machines for the kids. And that was pretty much the extent of our purchases. No coffee, no kid clothes. I did get a small ceramic cauldron for Halloween, but that's it.

We went to lunch after, which was absolute chaos. The kids wanted to roam. Read that with all of the exasperated emphasis you can muster. By the time we left, the pinched nerve in my back (probably from sitting funny on the bed to watch football yesterday) totally seized up, and I turned control of the car over to my daughter. We gathered ingredients for dinner, and all went to my house. The men were supposed to work more on the flagstone patio, but each of them got delayed by their morning projects, so by the time they got here, it was mostly hang out with kids time instead, and then everyone except me pitched in to make dinner happen. I stayed in my chair and held the baby when needed, but no big kids were allowed in my lap. Just shifting in my chair was too much. Yay me.

By the end of the evening, after an amazing dinner, the kids got tossed into the tub. Then they got their jammies on, because they were headed to bed not long after they got home. They were bouncing around like little heathens, and as I watched them jump from the ottoman to the couch to the floor and back again, I was swamped with emotions. There was something very "holidays at grandparents'" about it, and I spoke it out loud. They joked that I could just keep them, and I promised oh yeah, there will be sleepovers to come. Just not on school nights, now that the calendar is starting to become a thing. But that's a story for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment