Monday, October 14, 2013

Accentuating the Positives

Inspirational song: Rock and Roll Part 2 (Gary Glitter)

I let myself wallow in negativity for days. I didn't exercise. I didn't eat well. I complained. I'm ready to put that aside now. I got myself moving today, and I'm planning on keeping my foot on the gas. I have things to look forward to, and I'm going to be happy about them. This is my birthday week, and while I do indulge in hair dye and daily moisturizing, I proudly admit my age when prompted. I earned this age, and I have no reason to hide it. Ever since I hit forty, I have made a tradition of going back to Colorado for a football game. I am going next week for that trip, and even though our chances of winning are looking slimmer each week we get stomped on, I am going to stay until the very end of the game. I don't leave until the band plays the alma mater from the field. If I wanted to see an almost guaranteed win, I would have tried to score Broncos tickets instead. (Full disclosure: I followed up on a sale of good nail polish, and bought blue and orange, so I could doll up my hands in a winning team's colors. I told you, I'm accentuating the positive.)

After losing a few days to my funk, it wasn't easy at the gym. I had to dig deep to find my mojo, especially with my training partner busy learning her new job. I found what I needed, though. I stayed just over an hour, until the after work crowd showed up and made the wait for machines too long. It was encouraging to find I had the strength to do the moves I don't like as much, without that voice in my ear egging me on. I'm still trying to decide on how I feel about my shin, which still hurts with activity. I think it might be less painful now? Maybe? The doc said give it two weeks, and that would be up on Thursday. It will be nice to have full strength in it again, whenever that is.

And this evening, after I decided it wasn't all that horrible, having cold water sponge baths at home and washing my hair at the Y, I got the email saying my tankless hot water system has shipped. It is due tomorrow, a day early. Life is good, when you decide to focus on the positives.

No comments:

Post a Comment