Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sisters in Arms

Inspirational song: Best Friend (Harry Nilsson)

As girls' days go, today was a spectacular one. I had hoped last night to make it to town in time to get a pedicure, since it has been ages since I had one, and I was developing a severe set of troll feet. I failed to make it to where I needed to be in good time, so I postponed the trip to the nail salon until this morning. By doing so, I was able to bring along three of my favorite people: my daughters and my hotelier. My friend who lets me crash at her house has found the absolute best nail salon on the Front Range, and she was happy to spend part of her day off with me getting pampered. My older daughter had never gotten a pedicure, and my younger had only experienced it once in high school with a friend. After the morning we had, I have confidence that this will become a new mom's-in-town tradition.

After a detour to get coffees, we descended upon a Dillard's that was going out of business, to strip it like a trio of locusts (my friend had to leave us for an appointment). I thought we would be there maybe an hour. I think we left over three hours after we arrived. I alone tried on well more than three dozen outfits, and the girls were right there with me. I left with some tops, skirts, and two little black dresses. (Hm, maybe "Little Black Dress" should have been today's song...) My older daughter tried on one dress that had a black sweetheart top and a confection of hot pink tuille with sparkles for a skirt. She laughed and demanded to know where this was back when she was searching for prom dresses years ago. And the very next dress she modeled for us was the most beautiful turquoise and gold strapless gown.We all saw the parallel between it and the Princess Jasmine Halloween costume I made her when she was three, back in my costume designer days. It was her absolute favorite thing ever, and she wore it for months, repeatedly telling us all about the Aladdin she saw while trick-or-treating at the mall. Here she was, my little Princess Jasmine all grown up. Of course she bought the dress. I would not have let her back in the car without it.

My older daughter peeled off from the group to work, and then we were just two. We ate at an English pub, and on the way to pick up dinner for my older daughter, the younger showed me an app that impressed the hell out of me. I didn't think I would seriously want to promote something like this, but I can't help myself. You all should try this and see for yourselves. It was called Akinator, and it is a little genie who guesses the character you think of. We tried to come up with seriously obscure references, and it got them. Fairly quickly on mine, I must admit. From questions like "is your character blonde haired," or "is your character a superhero," it easily figured out I was thinking of Anne of Green Gables, Buckaroo Bonzai, Sweetums the Muppet, Bubble de Vere from Little Britain, and Steve Hogarth of Marillion. I am in awe of this programmer's ability. Good show.

I was starting to whine about the lack of pretty fall colors back home. I made it out west in time to see some beautiful leaves. My soul has been refreshed. And going an entire day without a single argument was refreshing as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment