Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Here It Comes Round Again

Inspirational song: Do It Again (The Kinks)

Well, we're back where we started. I had the floors picked out for the condos, with a solid bamboo that I felt would stand up to moisture (based on no input from sales clerks, since they don't tend to speak to me when I'm standing in front of the displays for 20 minutes, but rather based on the fact that I can put bamboo spoons in the dishwasher and they are totally fine). The girls had a visit from someone I had assumed would be from the restoration company, to get samples and to measure spaces to be restored. He was not from that company. If I understand correctly, he was the subcontractor who will be doing the install. He told the kids that the only hard floors they would install would be floating floors on a moisture barrier, so my solid plank that required an adhesive was out of the question. At first I was upset, thinking when he said click and lock, he was suggesting only crappy laminates, which I would never consider under any circumstances. By the time I arrived back at Home Depot to investigate options, I realized there are engineered floors that are still sturdy enough to satisfy my requirements for this application. 

And then... The miracle happened. 

I walked out of there with eight samples (not realizing at first two were identical). I laid them out for a photo. I sent them to the kids, and with feedback narrowed it to three choices. Sent it to the kids, and ALL THREE OF US AGREED. First time this has happened in months, maybe years. Assuming someone from the company gets us our budget, and it aligns with this very reasonably priced product, we have a winner. 

I have written longingly over the summer about my favorite day of the year. It's the first day of the fall where the clouds are heavy and low all day, the air is cool and damp, a little drizzle spits out but real rain never comes. You start thinking about building a fire, about hot chocolate, and digging the sweaters out of the closet. I live for this day, and am jubilant when it finally comes around again. The kids had it a few days before the flood. Today was the Lowcountry's approximation of it. It was a good try. Everything was right except the temperature. Following my workout, I ran errands still wearing a tank top with no jacket, and the 64 degrees didn't bother me a bit. It felt pretty good, actually. It is a little cooler now, and I am actually considering wearing warm pajamas to bed (with all the windows open so I don't melt when I wake up roasting at three o'clock in the morning). Is it too much to hope that this means we are done with the upper 80s for the rest of the season? 


No comments:

Post a Comment