Saturday, October 19, 2013

Almost Halfway There

Inspirational song: Hole in My Life (The Police)

Inside jokes never translate to anyone outside of the inner circle privy to the joke. But to those in on it, those jokes can live on forever, beloved decades later. I have been reliving a favorite lately. In college, I was a piccolo player in the marching band. My fellow piccolo players and I were highly obnoxious, and had one of those running gags, always insisting that wherever we were in a journey, we were always "almost halfway there."  I'm sure we were in danger of getting kicked off the band bus. The man and I have been apart for months, and I have started saying we're almost halfway there. I think this week it is actually true.

Most of the time, I can handle when he takes these work assignments far away from me. But the longer they last, the harder it is as the months go along. The one or two months long gigs go quickly, like they're nothing. But with the long ones, they start fine, and then things start to fall apart. I get sick or injured. Something weird happens to the bills. Historic floods come and destroy our retirement investments. And on top of it all, I just get stinking lonely. Today was particularly difficult for loneliness. I could feel it physically in my chest. I just needed my Saturday companion to have brunch, listen to the football game, and come hang out with the gang at Bonfire.

We're almost halfway there.

No comments:

Post a Comment