Monday, October 7, 2013

Professionals

Inspirational song: Like a Boss (The Lonely Island)

Mah jongg was supposed to resume for the fall starting today. I was the only one who RSVPed, and I was the only one who showed up to the master's house to play. So instead of playing with just two players (which is impossible, if I understand correctly), we went out to breakfast. We were of a mind, that bacon and eggs were far more important than feeling sorry for ourselves that no one else showed up for our awesome tile game. It was a lovely, rainy morning, cooler than it has been in weeks. It felt good to be out in rain again. I am glad to learn that all the wet weather this summer didn't turn me off of it once it dried out for a while. After breakfast, she showed me her recently completed landscaping around her new pool. She and her husband were in a position to have the same company who installed the pool professionally landscape the yard. My photos did not do justice to the nice job the professionals did (but, in fairness, it was raining on us pretty thoroughly by that point). Once again, I lost myself in thought, wondering how awesome it would be to turn over landscaping duties to someone I can hire out. Would go a long way towards compensating for when I hit that point during the summer when it is too hot, too humid, or two bug-infested for me to go outside anymore (which appears to have come in early July this year).

I'm still dealing with blowback over wanting the condo restoration to be handled by the professionals. I want the tricky edges painted in a neutral color, so there isn't a need for deep colors to be painted over as soon as tenants move out. I want them to handle it to reduce the incidences of things like paint smeared on the edges of cabinets or awkward transitions between the open concept living room and kitchen (edge lines in a flat plane don't paint over well). I am willing to have a color in the bathroom, as long as it is done by the paint crew, and in a color that I can leave in place. I have okayed color in both of the bedrooms, since they are self-contained. But apparently in certain circles I am being considered inflexible and unreasonable for deciding that this is my call to make, in property that my husband and I own, where I want colors and how dark those colors can be. I can think of one time in my rental history where I was given freedom to paint when I was a tenant. All the others were white walls that were to remain white under all circumstances.

I am supposed to be re-entering the professional world myself this week. My friend is picking up a high-power sales job, and she needs an office manager/research assistant. Hours will be flexible. I have sworn to her that I am the right girl for the job. It will not be a lot of hours at first, but hopefully it will be enough for me to feel like I still have some market value myself. I suppose I will know once it gets started.


No comments:

Post a Comment