Saturday, October 5, 2013

Grown Up Colors

Inspirational song: Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones)

I had one real mission today, and I completed about two thirds of it. The restoration company contacted me to set up an appointment to measure our condos for flooring and to get our samples. Obviously, I had to refer the woman who called to my on-site managers (my girls). And now I have to focus on choosing the products to be installed. I found a local dealer of real linoleum on the Internet (the big box stores do not carry it), but when I went today to evaluate it in person and ask questions, the store was closed. I did manage to pick up a couple samples of bamboo flooring at a big box store, but of course the clerks in that department ignored me entirely while I was there. I didn't have time to wait around for hours for them to acknowledge me, and answer my questions. (At the other BB store, they had very few bamboo options, and it appeared they were phasing them out.) There were only two samples that appealed to me, and one has significant advantages over the other. The "tiger stripe" is rated as harder, lasts longer, and the variegated pattern will disguise dirt. They're both solid bamboo and nearly the same price. I wish I knew what my budget was already.

I mentioned before how upset the kids were when I said I would be repainting the condos in less vivid colors. I think one has forgiven me, almost entirely, and the other has decided it isn't worth the fight if she is trying to move to California, once she finds a job that uses her new college degree. My mother asked whether this was an opportunity for the kids to transfer to more grownup colors. I am pushing hard for that. She also pointed out how few landlords would allow as much freedom with paint as I have for the last several years. Now that I have the chance to have it all done professionally, I am ready to be done with primary crayon colors, roller marks on the ceilings, paint splotches on the tiles, and bathrooms that look like they were painted with a live cat instead of a brush.

Now it is time for a little interactive blogging. I have put together a dozen or so paint palettes. I took photos with a cell phone camera, in fluorescent light. The colors are not going to be absolutely true to life, but they will be close enough. Look them over and give me some feedback. You can leave comments here, if they're working, or on the SFSP Facebook page. Would you put any of these color palettes in a 750 square foot condo, that sits three feet below grade and doesn't get a whole lot of natural light? I really do want your opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment