Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Crafty

Inspirational song: The Kids Are Alright (The Who)

I'm gearing up to be up to my armpits in creative projects. NaNoWriMo starts Friday, and I have been lost in my own thoughts, working out my plots and plans. For the bulk of my drive home yesterday, I was discovering the entire story line like it already exists, and I'm just taking dictation by the characters. I like it when all I have to do is show up and be briefed on it. It is making me look forward to a month of writing nonstop, rather than question my sanity for even wanting to take on the challenge. I lost count of how many times I was tempted to cheat and start writing early. I'm so excited. This is Christmas Eve and high school graduation and buying a new car all wrapped up in one highly anticipated moment.

I need to start making my Halloween costume ASAP. I am not dressing up tomorrow. In fact, I'm going to be sitting in a dark house, watching scary movies, with my porch light off. I have decided I don't need a giant bowl of chocolate in arm's reach, and I don't want to stress out my dogs and cats by having the doorbell ring every few minutes. I have two black cats. I don't want to risk them sneaking out an open door and getting caught by someone who solemnly swears he or she is up to no good. I am going to a Saturday night grown up party instead. I got inspiration from my younger daughter as to which Internet sensation should be my costume, and I have decided that it will require a papier mâché headpiece. I ran up the street (so to speak) and got a styrofoam head to build it around. I suppose I should measure the circumference of my head to make sure it will fit. I hope the crew at Bonfire gets my costume. I'm not announcing it until after the party.

I made sure I made it back from the football trip by last night. I wanted to participate in my club's October craft night. We went to a paint-your-own-pottery shop. Yes, my house is full of my own pottery, and a few pieces friends of mine made and shared with me. But it has been years since I put anything together. I missed it, and was excited even to get to paint a piece of molded ceramic greenware. And it didn't hurt that I got to see a bunch of my friends while doing it. I had been gone for a week, and was already feeling removed from my circle here. So painting myself a rock and roll spoon rest, while enjoying a little wine and conversation, was exactly what I needed. And thank goodness I went. They reminded me that I have about two weeks to complete and submit our holiday sign for competition. (It is the size of a full sheet of plywood, and can be just about anything.) I hadn't noticed the calendar was zipping by. Wasn't it just August an hour ago? Time to start thinking about a bit of the red and green. 

Maybe I'll just repaint my fingernails while I try to think up a good holiday card theme.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment