Saturday, October 26, 2013

And My Hopes Were Dashed

Inspirational song: Glory Days (Bruce Springsteen)

I'm tired, I'm cold, and I yelled myself hoarse. I have a scared little dog in my lap, and just had a hot toddy delivered to me to treat the sore throat and chill. I would like to say that my team won, but alas, such is not the case. The first half of the game was terrific. It went downhill after the band was done. We still are a long way from the consistently winning teams I remember. But I am a die hard fan. I love my school and remain loyal. I will be back another day, for another game next year. But for now, it's nice to be home in the heat, not dancing to stay warm in the stadium of sadness.

This morning was a sharp contrast to how the day ended. The sun was so bright, and the weather was unbeatable. We had breakfast with my sister in law at a restaurant in a building that was originally a post office a hundred years ago. From there, we went to a local farm to buy carving pumpkins, and we ended up filling the trunk with enough squash and heirloom pumpkins to last the girls all winter. We are so excited to bake with these gorgeous gourds. I hope a few will be left when I come back this way in a few months. I had almost as much fun selecting them and photographing them as I would eating them. The woman working at the farm stand certainly earned our business. She gave us a twenty minute lesson on all the varieties they grew and what each is good for. We ended up spending over a hundred dollars on everything. The girls had better cook it all.

I am planning on taking the girls on a trip up in the mountains in the morning, just for the sake of pictures of the beautiful scenery. It's our last chance to really spend time together, and I want to use it wisely.

2 comments: