Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Chasing the Sunset

Inspirational song: Don't Eat the Yellow Snow (Frank Zappa)

I must be dedicated to my writing to find myself staying awake tonight to do this. All the miles I've traveled since Monday morning are catching up to me. I crawled in bed at 9:30 local time, and have every intention of going lights out as soon as I can publish. 

As I mentioned yesterday, today starts the big homecoming game weekend. (Don't you wish your weekends started on Wednesdays? I'm really digging this flexible schedule of a full time writer. Let's all send happy thoughts to the man for giving me the opportunity to make my lifelong dream come true, to write for a living, and to live enough to write.) I arrived this evening, and hoofed it westward, into a blinding orange sunset, until the blessed mountains blocked enough of the light to avoid the migraine I usually get from it this time of year. I drifted to a stop at my good friends' house, the one I have been trained to use as my own personal hotel. (Send more happy thoughts to the friends!) I was greeted by the kids who are like family to me, and introduced to their first dog. After one surprised bark, she introduced herself and told me how happy she was to have landed here, after being sprung from a kill shelter in Oklahoma, and bouncing through some foster homes and a failed adoption. She seemed to like it when I petted her and told her how strongly she resembles the dog we had in North Carolina, years ago. By the end of the night, the new puppy, my old friend, and I were sprawled together on the couch, watching Internet videos. It felt absolutely right. 

Today's trip felt longer going just from one hub airport to another than it does to start at my little regional airport doing two hops. I wouldn't be surprised if that's only because security is so much shorter at the smaller airports. I can't believe how much of the day I spent queued up in one way or another today. I left my father's house three full hours before my flight, to guarantee I could find parking, get checked in, and get through security in good time. I had enough time to have a surprisingly good meal (excellent barbecued chicken in the airport--who would have expected?) and I just made it to my gate as our plane arrived and emptied. I don't think I used to consider myself a frequent flier, but the amount of time I've spent in the air lately is starting to add up. I have stopped pretending I don't need a miles reward program of some sort. I guess it's time for a frequent car rental club too.

Now that I have lain still long enough to write, my body and brain are shutting down. It is time to ride off into the sunset. Happy trails, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment