Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tangled Up in Blankets

Inspirational song: Another Tricky Day (The Who)

Greetings from the deep shadows of my blanket fort. I've been working on a new wing of it all week, and today I crawled inside of it for the foreseeable future. I believe I shall name this wing after its primary benefactor: insomnia. Insomnia sponsored all of this week's construction, and it made sure the accommodations are cushy and inviting. I have very little interest in leaving them. It takes me hours, sometimes days, to sneak out long enough to perform any useful, adult tasks. A trip to Target for cleaning supplies took two days, and the kitten's shelter checkup took three. The trip two miles up the road to the Ford dealership to have my car's imperfection investigated has waited for weeks, but may finally happen tomorrow. Wish me luck breaking free. I'm not optimistic.

In all seriousness, I think insomnia is really starting to wear on me. I am not eating right. Compared to what I'm supposed to be eating for my training regimen, I'm barely eating at all. I'm cranky all the time. I'm especially cranky when I'm trying to work out and my body and mind feel fatigued and running far from optimally. But sleep is just not coming easily. I keep staying up well past two every morning, and can't find a way out of this pattern. A couple times I could blame late-day caffeine ingestion, but the majority of nights, there is no obvious culprit. I just sit here, downstairs, unwilling or uninterested in going to bed. I need to find my way out of this mess. Medications are not an option. I don't know that warm beverages at night (milk or herbal tea) are any more welcome, or effective. I have no interest in being warmed from the inside while I'm already melting with the ac turned off. Exercise during the day is supposed to help this sort of thing, isn't it? So why is the problem so bad while I'm spending so much of my time training? I just can't seem to turn things off late at night. I don't just mean the television. I mean me. I sit here with my brain vegetating, with my body hurting, and I just can't shut it all down and go to sleep. This is a serious drag.


1 comment:

  1. In all seriousness, try melatonin. Its available right next to any other vitamins and should help you get some more sleep.

    ReplyDelete