Saturday, January 30, 2016

Before the Storm

Inspirational song: Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (Led Zeppelin)

We enjoyed the last day of warm weather while we had it. It was gorgeous until late afternoon, and while I ran around stocking up ahead of the looming snowpocalypse, Mr S-P worked in the back yard. We had a few good hours where the ground was visible, for the first time since mid-December. We've had the skeleton of our neighbor's shed in a messy pile against our fence for months, and the man couldn't stand looking at it another moment. The basic structure is up, but the first wave of snow chased him off before he could finish. We're going to paint it and all the fascia on our house in a deep, dark brown, although that will be weeks away now.

I feel bad for wasting two hours that he could have been working on his project this morning by asking him to drive me on a wild goose chase. One would think that when the doctor's office called me late yesterday to give me the phone number of the lab my health insurance demands I use for tests, that the specific test orders would have been entered into the lab's computer system already. We went to the only location of this lab open on a Saturday, thirty miles north of here. They had no record of me, under any version of my name that the receptionist and I could think of. So much for getting this done ahead of the blizzard. I guess it can wait until the middle of next week. It will have to. Apparently I'm going to have to wait that long for my back to improve as well. How long do I have to limp around with my spine bent sideways, shouting in sudden pain every so often, before this gets escalated to a real emergency? The new muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories aren't doing a damned thing, exactly the same as the ones I had before. I guess if it's still like this after the snowstorm, I'll go back to the doc and ask whether we can progress to taking images of my spine and see what we can learn that way.

The longer this nonsense goes on, the more it turns into a real drag. I haven't felt like an adult for a week and a half. I'm neglecting work. I'm struggling to write. I just want to feel normal again. I don't need to be superwoman. I just need to function at average capacity. Can I have that now?



No comments:

Post a Comment