Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Valuable Feedback

Inspirational song: Time (Alan Parsons Project)

Tonight was one of the most successful attempts to get to know people I've had since I moved back here. I quashed my usual shyness and social awkwardness, and boldly walked into the weekly meeting of the writers group at the local library. I gave myself permission ahead of time to sneak into the back and be quiet the whole night, but I never needed or wanted to do that once I arrived. A woman who was about twenty years older than I acted as ambassador. She introduced herself the moment I arrived, and then she introduced me to at least five other people before the event began. She sat at the same table as I, and she encouraged two other women to join us. I felt like one of the family before the meeting started. I already can't wait to go back, although I have to wait two weeks, since I have a training scheduled next Tuesday.

Every other week, this group reads things that they have written aloud to the other attendees. They were given a prompt last week, and those who "wrote to the prompt" were asked to read first. I didn't know about this going in, but I had prepared myself emotionally to offer up my flash fiction The Seat ahead of time. I told myself that it fit the theme well enough, and the group seemed to agree. I didn't have a printed copy with me, but it was still available on the front page of AntVsWhale.com, so I read from my phone. I was surprised to realize this was the first time I'd ever read it aloud, and here I was standing before 13 strangers to do it. I probably rushed a little in the reading, but I tried to breathe calmly and project my voice. At the end, the crowd seemed to accept it well, and they gave me positive comments, easily finding the spot that was my favorite detail, and the image that spawned the entire story. I felt welcomed and initiated into the group almost immediately, especially once they gave me feedback on my tale. I learned at the end that I was the first new member they remember giving a recitation on the very first night. Win!

Today felt like a gorgeous spring day rather than a bleak January one. It smelled of rain this morning, and it was warm enough by afternoon to run my car through the touchless wash. (Note to self: next time skip the touchless part. It didn't get all the pollution junk off the back, where the hatchback lip shadowed the spray.) I had a big training with the company that runs the local MLS (multiple listing service), and there I ran into another of my classmates who now works at the local brokerage we've used for our own real estate deals for years. Everything about this day felt like emergence, from weather, from shyness, from a lack of skill or knowledge. I can retire tonight feeling like I took several steps forward. It was about time.




No comments:

Post a Comment