Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I Need the Wisdom of the Crowd

Inspirational song: Lump (The Presidents of the United States of America)

I would like to make a lot of clever jokes about Planet 9 from Outer Space. Or maybe tell you all about how I accidentally met the mayor of my new hometown this afternoon, and how the Mr and I chatted with him for a while in a drugstore. (Yep, really happened.) But I'm a little distracted, and I wonder whether it might not be time to crowdsource some theories as to what is going on with me.

Two or three years ago, I started having this weird lump in my throat, that never seemed to go away. It was low down, close to my collarbone, and it provided near constant pressure that didn't truly restrict my ability to breathe or swallow, but made it damned freaky to do either. Sometimes, this lump would snap and click, and the sensation was that of air bubbles popping or moist tissue sticking together and then releasing (repeatedly). I started going down the road of talking to a doctor about it at the time, and then all of a sudden, the diverticulitis jumped up and slapped me across the face, and demanded that I devote all of my attention to it. All discussion of what caused this weird lump in my throat went on hold until the digestive system problems were sorted out. Lately, I've noticed the lump is back. I honestly don't know that it ever went away, but it has started bugging me again and I can't escape it anymore. It's bad these days, and I feel like I have been strangled. Sitting still is bad enough, but riding in the pickup truck, with the seat belt that always rides too high on my chest (practically at the junction of my neck and collarbone) moving against it, is like torture. I don't even like lying on my side anymore when I sleep, because I tend to push my shoulders forward too much and it aggravates it.

I'd like to blame my thyroid, because it would be the easiest answer. But I've had my basic thyroid numbers checked many times over the years, and while they aren't perfect anymore, that last time (a couple years ago when this started) there wasn't anything to indicate a real problem. Okay, so there is a little extra fragility with my hair and nails, but I suspect I can blame my dry skin on the fact that it's winter in an arid part of the country. Other than a complete inability to lose weight ever, under any circumstances, I really don't have typical thyroid indicators. So, if you need to talk amongst yourselves first, go ahead, and then get back to me. What else might this be? Or should I go ahead and introduce myself to the new primary care manager by asking for a blood test?





No comments:

Post a Comment