Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Putting Myself Out There

Inspirational song: Volunteers (Jefferson Airplane)

Sometimes one has to do things that are utterly unwise. I had no business driving today, but I had a place to be, so there I was, driving on the highway when I could barely hold my arms out from my body. I had the seat heater on high, and the electric muscle relaxer adhered and ready to go. Neither of those things helped a lick when I tried to clean a smudge off my glasses and saw how easily the car could have gotten entirely out of control (as opposed to the hint of a swerve and realization that I wouldn't have been able to straighten up anything worse than that.) It made me drive much more slowly to my meeting. I still wish I hadn't been there at all. I should have been home and stretched out flat, not moving at all. I'm about to do exactly that, and the world should celebrate.

I sat through a training that made me realize just how valuable my volunteer experience has been to date. The presentation tonight was for people who are new to non-profit boards, I think. It was a discussion about the structure, mission, and legal responsibilities of boards. After serving as the treasurer, vice president, and president of those ladies' charitable groups, fundraising through auctions and thrift shops to fund scholarships and community projects, I had a pretty good idea how these things work. Most of the material tonight was just review, and a chance to assure myself that my previous boards really had their acts together. The only entirely novel bit of information for me tonight was the individualized charts matching each of us to charitable agencies, based on boxes we checked on the registration forms. That, and I made a contact tonight with someone on one animal rescue board who is hooking me up with another charity devoted just to cats. That sounds like something I can really get behind. I might even volunteer to serve on their board of directors.

I'm sure several of my close friends are wondering why I haven't quoted a doctor yet about my back. I finally went digging through old emails and found the name of the doc and her clinic that our insurance says we are to use. I tried to call this afternoon for an appointment. The phone rang about eight times, and then a very long, rambling auto-answer system picked up. It gave me the option of hitting the pound key to leave a message, but I really couldn't tell whether I was supposed to leave a message if all I wanted to do was make an appointment. I was sore and tired and easily confused. I ended up just hanging up the phone and pouting. If I still can't move tomorrow, I'll try again to face down the evil robo-secretary. I really hope I don't have to.



No comments:

Post a Comment