Friday, January 15, 2016

Follow Up

Inspirational song: Invisible Sun (The Police)

On a whim, we checked back in on an art project tonight. Remember a few months ago, when we happened upon a glass artist who was in the process of creating a "public art project" in a local brewery? Back then, we were thrilled to have a chance to play along, and place a handful of mosaic tiles in this audience-participation piece of art. On the way home from an auto parts store (still dealing with the issues from yesterday), we stopped in to that brewery, to see the finished product. It was complete, and hanging in the window between the bar and the back room where the magic happens. The bartender said that normally it had a light behind it, but it was burned out at present. A little later, someone went back into the area with the brewing vats, so I got a lit photo too. And naturally I got a cider while a certain someone tried a couple different beers.

I got a little lesson about catalytic converters today. I'm sure at some point in my teenage years I was told how these things work, but that knowledge has long since been dumped. So today, with the fresh cap and rotor on the truck, which now starts without protest, the Mr went back to the emissions testing station where our day went sideways yesterday. This time, there was no trouble starting the engine, massive shuddering at high RPMs, stalling, or backfiring (yeah, that entertained the testing station employees, but not in a good way). But what did happen was a massive fail on emissions. The man took the truck to a shop, and then sent me a photo of the catalytic converter that was removed. Apparently these things are supposed to be filled with a honeycomb of platinum-coated steel in order to work as directed. The one in the truck was just a hollow cylinder, with all of the key bits completely rusted out or burned up. Once a brand new one was installed, the truck passed emissions with room to spare, and now it wears the personalized tag we've had on a half-dozen cars over the years. I'm so glad that bit of bookkeeping has been completed. One more thing off the check list.

I was in charge of the office phone for part of this afternoon. Had only one call, and it took me by surprise. My thoughts totally scattered, and I stuttered and tripped on my tongue for the first full minute of the call. By the time I gathered myself in, I couldn't pry a phone number or email out of the caller to save my life. So I shan't be following up with this person. No client, no lead. Damn. I need to get better at this, and fast.






No comments:

Post a Comment