Friday, January 8, 2016

Fluffy and Soft

Inspirational song: Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On (Jerry Lee Lewis)

Near the end of October or the beginning of November, I started to feel bad for having already put snow tires on my car, before the snow really started. I was driving three cities north (and back) a couple times a week, putting all these highway miles on my spiffy new tires, for no actual benefit. Then there were a few snow days, with a little accumulation on the roads, but I didn't have anywhere I had to go on those days, really, so the tires still didn't get much of a workout. Not the case today. There was deep, crumbly, not-quite-slushy snow around several intersections today that might as well have been four inch deep lard for as slick as it was. My car tried to go squirrelly a few times, but it didn't take too much play in the steering wheel to bring it back under control. The highway wasn't clear, by any means, but I was able to hold my own just fine this morning. I allowed myself an extra half hour on top of the usual forty-five minutes it takes to get up north, and it would have been plenty, if not for the sudden morning "rush" that stopped traffic to a crawl for the last 10 miles of my drive. At least it was pretty, sitting around, looking at all the fluffy, wet snow, while I waited ten minutes to clear a single intersection.

When I chose the song for tonight, I wondered whether I was going to have to talk about the earthquake swarms that are spooking all of the people still living in my home state. I think I'll shelve that for a while, and instead focus on the earth-shattering, radical change in massage technique that I stumbled into tonight. Okay, it's not really new, since the therapist I saw tonight has been doing this for like fifteen years. No one has ever tried this one me before, and I cannot understand why. This guy didn't really dig into knotted muscles, leaving bruises like every woman I've seen since moving to Colorado has done. Instead, as he pulls apart the knots, he shimmies the tight places. He says it sort of fools the brain into thinking that there is a muscle spasm, that the muscle is malfunctioning and more or less needs a restart like a hung up modem. I don't know what the subconscious brain thinks of this move, but I can tell you my conscious brain bought it, hook, line, and sinker. Without the punishing treatment I usually get, I am more relaxed, more limber than I have been in years. Many, many years. Maybe this technique is more energy intensive for the therapists, and maybe that's why it's not more widely used. Maybe enough clients don't like it (this guy said it's not for everyone). Maybe it's just not taught. That's a pity. After the first couple shakes, I knew it was totally for me. I've offered to send the Mr in for a two hour session with this therapist for his birthday. I hope he accepts my gift. I'd love to see Mr S-P feeling as loose and limber as I am now.




No comments:

Post a Comment