Friday, January 1, 2016

Room to Run

Inspirational song: Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen)

I don't typically accompany the crew to the bark park. More often than not, they all go while I'm out of town or studying. Today, I happily went along. The weather was perfect for that sort of outing. While the fence building is in an awkward stage (thanks, winter), they have been loading up the truck from the back gate. I went out to experience the pure doggie joy as they watched the pickup park behind the house, and the tailgate lower. Bump ran back to tell me where they were going, while Elsa just stood with her paws on the top of the remaining section of short fence, her posture showing how thoroughly she understood the situation. Murray waited to be lifted, wheels and all, into his carriage.

Once at the park, they greeted the crowd of dogs like they were at a family reunion. I'm fairly certain Bump thinks he owns the park. For the most part, they were well behaved, but there were moments of challenge that made me nervous. When he was being a gentleman, Murray was quite popular. At least a half a dozen people asked about his wheels. Everyone seemed to enjoy watching him gallop hell bent for leather in his safety orange trotting cart. Elsa followed everyone who she sensed had a pocket full of dog treats, and she flirted shamelessly with them. And Bump tried to show the English Mastiff that he was in charge. To get the picture, this was a dog so tall, when Bump stood on his hind legs, the dog's hips were taller than Bump's shoulders. Stay classy, Bumpy.

When I was a little kid, I remember being desperately afraid of the transition from 1979 to 1980. I don't know why the change of decades intimidated me, but it really did freak me out. 1980 was the future. It was new wave and weird and scary. I was comfortable in the 1970s. But once the year rolled over and the first day of the year started, I realized that things weren't changing all that much. As an adult I face the changing of the calendar with more aplomb. I greet the new years with hope and eagerness. Today was fun. I'd like this year to be more like this day. Just like the bumper stickers say, wag more, bark less.





No comments:

Post a Comment