Sunday, January 17, 2016

Home Team

Inspirational song: Sports Song (Weird Al Yankovic)

The man on the radio said today is a very good day to be a sports fan in Colorado. I am certainly feeling that way. Of course, I am an unrepentant sports fan, and I freely admit it. A large percentage of my circle of friends are not, and they scoff at people like me, and insinuate that there is something lacking in our intellect, just for finding enjoyment in spectator sports. I refuse to be baited by these things. I enjoy hanging out with the guys, watching games, indulging in the occasional adult beverage, and loudly exclaiming obscenities when things don't go my way on the field of play. Not going to be shy about any of that. I cheered at the Broncos game (in the fourth quarter) and then I came home to listen to the end of the CU basketball game, and I cheered then too in the privacy of my own basement.

I have decided the best plan of action to start to meet people is to go places where they congregate, and tend to chat with strangers. Today, that was watching the Broncos' playoff game at a nice bar downtown. It was slow to fill, surprisingly so. But by the third quarter, there were at least six of us discussing the play, and cheering gleefully by the end. Unfortunately for me, I still haven't got the skills to turn that conviviality into conversation that includes exchanging of names and contact information. I'll keep at it until it's natural to me. I made plans with the girls to start going to more happy hours, and maybe some karaoke. One way or another, people will learn who we are. (I quoted Marillion to my coworkers at one point today, not that they recognized the source. "I shout my name in the public places. No one seems to notice. No one understands.") It will happen, eventually.

We did a house tour this morning, two of my fellow agents and I. There's a lovely little town north of here that I still picture as being made of early 20th century houses. There are several in the quaint downtown, but that is not the whole of this community anymore. We saw four houses before I split off to go watch the football game. There was a gorgeous, almost 4000 square foot, two year old house that was listed for half the price of the place I showed for clients just before New Years, and it was comparable in features and quality, if slightly smaller. It's amazing how much more house people can get for the price by crossing the county border. It all comes down to where people want to call home.



No comments:

Post a Comment