Thursday, January 28, 2016

Best Foot Forward

Inspirational song: Right Here Right Now (Jesus Jones)

I have to stop standing on the sidelines. I've let an awful lot of the world go whizzing past me over the last few years, and I think my best chance for jumping on this freight train is right now. I am certain some of the cars have already passed me by, but there's still a lot of train left to catch, to stick with my metaphor. I'm lined up and ready to roll, but I've still been moving slowly toward my goals. I haven't been putting enough hours toward them every day. Time to shake off the lethargy and GO.

The next week may well be the busiest week I've had since I came to Colorado. Tomorrow I am meeting with a fellow agent, and I will be setting up an open house on one of her listings this weekend. I'm still a little nervous about the whole process, and I want to ask for a lot of hand-holding, but if I remind myself that I learn best in trial-by-fire situations, I'll push past the fear and just do it. There will be a lot of prep work involved, including some door knocking and internet advertising. The door knocking is the scariest part, but I will do what the job entails. I have to.

I went to the Chamber of Commerce mixer as planned tonight. I don't know why I imagined for weeks that this would be an insular crowd, not willing to accept new faces. The reality was the exact opposite. From the moment I walked up, I was welcomed and encouraged to talk and meet new people. I felt like I had known some of these people for years, not just minutes. I didn't talk to everyone, because there were over two hundred people in the room. But I had meaningful conversations with probably ten people, maybe a little more. Most of them were people I honestly hope I get to see again. This evening served to further my feeling that this place is really a small town in the middle of a metropolis, and that given the chance, I can find a great sense of community here.

I finally made it in to the doctor today, to whine to someone about my back who can actually help me get better. I've got some new anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxers that I've never heard of before. And for the first time since that chiropractor I saw in the 90s, someone used the "arthritis" word about my back. Apparently there will be some testing in the upcoming days and weeks. I had a couple tiny moments of hope that things were getting better, when I stood up nearly straight this afternoon, but then I spent two hours standing on my feet tonight, and it was all I could do to limp to the car after. I saved the new muscle relaxer for after I got home, since that one had "may cause dizziness" in all caps on the label, as well as the "may cause drowsiness" sticker that both bottles had. I haven't moved since I got home, so my evaluation may be skewed, but best I can tell, I can sit more comfortably. That's enough of a win for now.

This evening's mixer was at the humane society building, the same place where we collected Zoe after she was hit by a car last fall. I worried that I'd be haunted by those memories, but instead I recalled how understanding and caring they were in our time of crisis, and I was impressed by the facility on the adoption side (which I hadn't seen before). The cages all have windows that face out into the central atrium, so that the humans who are looking to adopt can see everyone, and all the animals get a sense of being in a much bigger space than they really are. I walked around and saw a lot of beautiful faces tonight, human, canine, feline, and leporine. (There were two adorable rabbits, including a white one with a wonky foot, but she was hiding by the time I got out my camera.) I did not come home with a kitten in my pocket. Nor even one of the giant adult cats who looked at me seductively through the glass. When the right time comes, there may be another member of my Pride. But right now is not that time.



No comments:

Post a Comment