Sunday, October 13, 2019

Cabinetry

Inspirational song: Bitchin’ In the Kitchen (Shock Treatment)

Some days you just have to rely on other people’s accomplishments. I didn’t have enough of my own to speak of. Right after morning coffee (the first cup), the boys set about taking another stab at installing cabinets next door. I’m not sure that either of them had done this on this scale before, but as a couple of amateurs, they did alright. It took all day, until well past dark, but they got all the uppers hung, and three fifths of the lowers attached. The sink cabinet and the trash pull-out are just set in place for now, so that T can walk through his living room again without swearing. This renovation has been very stressful for him, as it is for most people. I doubt anyone actually likes living in a construction zone, having to eat only microwave meals or takeout, and having to do dishes in the utility sink in the garage. He’s been so on edge, I was leery of interjecting when he initially set the trash cabinet directly next to the sink, intending to put the dishwasher on the far left of that row. I gently suggested that it would be better to have the dishwasher closer to the sink, so that pre-rinsed and dripping dishes didn’t travel so far to be loaded into the machine. He had already blown off my initial hint about the water access line needing to be fed through the back of the trash cabinet in the original setup. Once I recruited Mr S-P and T’s girlfriend to my position, they lobbied him to agree as well.

Now that we can see it taking shape, it’s fun to picture how it will end up. He will get the countertops measured this week, and his dad will help him make a special table to go under the window. He is waiting to select paint colors until the countertop is installed, and I’m not sure he has chosen the floor tile yet. I have yet to be any real help, because my health has taken so long to build back up. I’d like to believe that by the time he is painting and putting down the tile, I can be of more use.




No comments:

Post a Comment