Tuesday, October 22, 2019

'Tis the Season

Inspirational song: Ah Leah (Donnie Iris)

The seasons have changed. The season of sitting, looking outside at the hot sun, regretting not doing more to work on the garden has ended, and the season of staring at a tablet screen, regretting not starting making any presents yet has begun. I've just picked up crochet again, as of last week, to wrap my head around being creative. I found this brightly colored yarn last year, when I was buying up every color and texture of yarn while it was still cold in and outside. I imagined that I'd be doing a lot of crafting projects while I was going through treatment and recovering this year. I knew it would be super boring, staying home and doing nothing. I just didn't know I wouldn't feel like focusing on anything at all during that time. So two gigantic tubs of yarn (and an entire room full of other crafting supplies) have languished for months (years on the other stuff), waiting for me to rediscover my inspiration. I wanted to make something with the rainbow yarn for my younger daughter, I just didn't know what. I've started a blanket for her, hoping that I can make it all the way through a project now. There are still two or three similar things waiting to be finished from last spring.

I'm spending more time on Pinterest again, trying to find inspirations for gifts that don't look like macaroni and glitter crafts. I'm always surprised how many of those I still find. It's like watching a train wreck when they have auto-play videos of them in progress. I also watch helplessly most of the other videos on that site, especially the embroidery ones. I don't know why they capture my attention like they do. They are almost entirely hand-stitching alterations on clothing with thin yarn or six-ply embroidery floss. They're basic moves, but done in a hypnotizing motion on a looped video. I can't turn away.

If I'm going to make homemade gifts for Christmas this year, not only do I need to start now, I need to commit to using the materials I already own. I have so many paints, canvases, beads, yarns, trims, tools, and fabrics. I must not--MUST NOT--buy new materials. Just one trip to Michael's for a crochet pattern would turn into a cart full of duplicates of half the things in that room down the hall. There needs to be a bargain I can make with myself--no trips to the store until I've made (x) number of items or used (XX) amount of stuff. The values of x and XX need to be large.


No comments:

Post a Comment