Monday, October 7, 2019

Peak

Inspirational song: Natural Beauty (Neil Young)

Success! Leaf-peeping achieved! It was slightly past peak color, but we managed to find lots of beautiful places to stop and take pictures or to drive alongside and admire the view as it went past. I had almost convinced myself that I wouldn't have much to share, but then I went and took a couple dozen shots, most of which were decent. I deleted a handful of mediocre ones, and will let the rest mostly speak for themselves. Well, with a couple of exceptions. There was a moment, early in the trip, between Allenspark and Ward, when I was too distracted by the Good Boy in the back of a pickup truck in front of us to look much at the aspens. He was kind of a blond St Bernard or similar, and I doubt he could hear me cooing at him from the passenger seat of my car. I like to think he felt the love, though. We turned off the main highway several times, at Big Elk Meadows and on a road I couldn't name. My poor little car did its level best on gravel and dirt roads. It is no SUV, though. At one point I was presented with a choice to turn left to an unknown route or stay straight and go through Gold Hill. I haven't been there in years, probably since we went there to celebrate one of our anniversaries. We were married at the Gold Hill Inn, and I had him stop the car for just a second, so I could take a picture of the inn and the little meadow beside it, where our actual ceremony was. There were a bunch of picnic tables out there, and I'm very curious whether they were the same ones where I tried to sign my name hyphenated for the very first time (on the same license where the Mr wrote in the wrong date, so our original marriage license has Wite Out on it-- Oops.)

Enough tell, time for show:




















No comments:

Post a Comment