Monday, October 28, 2019

Games People Play

Inspirational song: Angry Eyes (The Eagles)

After spending all morning Saturday planting trees, once the five of us got back to town, we each went our own ways and took naps. We aren't even all that old, but the labor got to all of us, even the 30-somethings. Our friends from out of town came back over that night, and we cleared the D&D debris off of the game table, and tried out a couple new games we acquired this year. As the first of two storms blew in, we thought it would be a great idea to sample "The Donner Party." The point of the game is to figure out which one of the players is the cannibal, by first figuring out whether there's enough food to feed the snow-bound pioneers, and then bluffing the rest of the people to vote out who dies that round, in an effort to get rid of the cannibal. Hard to explain briefly, but it was fun to play. Would be better in larger groups than smaller.

The other game we tried was a card version of Oregon Trail. That one was deceptively hard, much as the original old-school video game was. First, you have to lay down cards to travel a distance of three feet, but for every five cards you lay down, you stack them and keep going. Calamities happen each round, like broken wagon wheels, running low on food, etc. And as in the original game, you can die without warning of dysentery or snakebite. That happened a lot to us. I'll be interested to play both of these again, with as many players as we can fit around the table (knowing our table is gigantic).

On the drive home Saturday, I had a hard time keeping my eyes open. I was the driver, so this actually mattered. The sun was brutal that day, and I felt like I was staring straight into it. I assumed it was just fatigue. Yesterday we watched the evening game next door, in front of a modestly smoky fire. I didn't think about that much after leaving there. But this morning, I noticed my eyes were deeply red, and sticky. They've been like this all day. I'm left wondering, was it something I did? Or did those things bother me because my eyes were already irritated? I read something about how cancer treatments affect your eyes, with most of the triggers the article listed applied directly to my situation so far. Although, of all the problems I could have--dry eyes, clogged tear ducts, glaucoma, or cataracts--there is one effect some people experience that I find fascinating. There are some treatments that can change your eye color, actually draining the pigmentation out and changing brown eyes to blue. Mine have always been a light brown, pretending to be olive drab in certain light. I feel like I don't have a lot of pigmentation I could spare. Maybe I'll re-read that article to verify I avoid whatever treatment it was that could lead to that change. And a conversation with my doc about protection of my eyes is in my near future.




No comments:

Post a Comment